Have you been wondering about how you can save money and still manage to eat healthy? Well, it is possible even in this era when meals take up a huge portion of our monthly expenses. The holidays are over and resolutions are in full swing, which means most people are trying to eat better. But healthy foods can be so expensive! How can you save money while buying the healthy foods that will help you lose weight or just generally feel better?
5 Money Saving Tricks while Eating Healthy
Below are 5 money saving tricks while eating healthy:
- It Begins with Meal Planning
Planning your meals will make a big difference in reducing your food budget and stay on track eating healthy meals. When you plan your meals early you are able to prepare certain meals in advance and eat them for lunches or even reconsider them for dinners at the course of the week.
Once you begin to plan your meals, your trips to the grocery will begin to dwindle. There will be no more unnecessary expenses since you know what you want to eat and you have everything pre-planned. You can visit the grocery once a week or even less then prepare meals that can last for a week whenever possible.
Steps of preparing a healthy meal plan on budget:
- Come up with a list of healthy recipes that your family loves, especially those within your budget.
- Write down on a card the meal and the recipe. Then list the ingredients for each of the recipes.
- Plan your meals for the week or month, number of meals required and make a list in order of the week. List required ingredients and cross off what you already have.
- Stick your card on the fridge or somewhere where you can easily see it. Once you have used a recipe put it away.
- Preparation of Food in Bulk
You can save a lot of money by cooking some healthy foods in bulk, especially when it comes to meat. When you have a tight budget, consider buying a huge and inexpensive cut of meat which can be used several times in a week. You can keep watch on some items such as Brisket, Turkey, Ham, and many others. You can even stretch your budget by reusing bones of any meat. Try to repurpose meals as well.
- Buy in Bulk
It may cost you more to buy food in bulk but this will save money in the long run. Consider making a bulk order for some food items especially non-perishables such as almond flour, coconut oil, coconut flour, liquid castille soap, herbal teas, grains, and many others. You can even buy organic food items directly from the farm. Try to build a relationship with suppliers within your area and you will ultimately eat healthy and save a lot on cost.
- Grow your Food
You can save a lot on food by keeping a small garden in your home. Even if you live in the city, you can have a tiny garden in your backyard for growing some food items such as vegetables. You can also have some fruit trees, blueberry bushes, grape vines and many others. You can grow vegetables and preserve them throughout the year.
- Lifestyle Changes
You can save a lot of money and still eat healthy by making some minor changes to your lifestyle. Here a few ways you can do it;
- Never eat out-we all love to eat out once in a while and this takes up a huge portion of our expenses. You can save more but eating out less often.
- Do not buy drinks-anyone who wants to eat healthy understands they have to cut out drinks like soda, processed juices, and canned drinks. Eliminating these items and replacing them with healthy options is a huge cost-saver. Instead prepare herbal teas, water kefir, homemade Almond milk, and many other healthy drinks.
- Make usable items whenever possible-you can make some baby items, cosmetics, and cleaning products if possible. It is pretty easy to learn how to do this. Once you make some items at home you can save a lot of money.
Follow these simple five money saving tricks while eating healthy and you will stay healthy and spend less. They are simple and can be followed by anyone who desires to eat healthy and still save money.