Nonstick cookware is one of the popular and preferred cookware especially when you are cooking oil-less and sticky kind of foods. If you use it properly, then it is one of the best kitchen vessels available in the market. The coated Teflon allows you to use less oil for cooking, and the food does not stick to the pan. Many cooks prefer non-stick pans as it is easy to clean and use, but, it requires extra care when cleaning the non-stick vessels. You should be very careful not to scratch the surface while washing the pan. Also, it is advisable to use only plastic or wooden utensils when cooking in non-stick pans. Also, don’t use the dishwasher to clean the non-stick cookware.
Common Mistakes When Using Nonstick Cookware
If you want your non-stick cookware last for longer period, then you must avoid 5 common mistakes when using the non-stick cookware, they are:
1. Avoid Cooking at High Temperature
Cooking at high temperature is one of the most common mistakes that every individual do when cooking in a non-stick cookware. The higher temperature damages the Teflon coating, and if you leave the pan on the stove for a long time it will damage the surface. Cooking with high heat in non-stick cookware can possibly release harmful toxic vapors.
Tip: The best way to cook in non-stick cookware is to cover the pan with lid, and use medium or low heat while cooking.
2. Avoid Using Cooking Spray
Using cooking spray is one of the common mistakes that many people do. The problem with nonstick cooking spray is, after a certain period, the pan will get muggy buildup, which does not go easily, and it will stick to the sides of the pan while cooking. Also, cleaning this sticky stuff is not an easy process.
Tip: Instead of cooking spray use butter or oil.
3. Avoid Deteriorating to season your pan
Even Teflon cookware requires season just like Cast Iron cookware, it helps the cookware last longer and also improve your cooking technique.
Tips: To take care of your cookware, just rinse the pan and once it is completely dry, then put some oil and use a paper napkin to spread the oil in the pan. Also, it is advisable to re-season the pan by spreading the oil every time before cooking.
4. Avoid Using Sharp Objects and Steel Utensils while Cooking
When you are cooking in non-stick cookware or cleaning the non-stick pan, don’t use sharp things like metal spatulas, knives to remove or stir the food from the pan, and also avoid steel scrubs for cleaning the non-stick pan, it damages the Teflon coating. Also, remember, don’t use the pan when the Teflon coating peels, and replace the pan immediately.
Tip: Use only wooden spatulas or silicone utensils while cooking the food in the non-stick. And, use soft scrub for cleaning.
5. Avoid Cleaning Nonstick Cookware in the Dishwasher
Clean all your non-stick cookware by hand never use the dishwasher for cleaning the Teflon cookware. The harsh detergents used in the dishwasher can damage the Teflon coating. The best way of cleaning the cookware is, wash it with warm water and soap and gently scrub it with a sponge by hand.
- Don’t ever use cooking spray, it builds up sticky stuff and it is not easy to clean. Use oil, or butter for cooking it helps you to use your cookware for a longer period.
- Put some butter or oil on the pan and spread it before you heat it up. Remember, you should not heat the pan and apply the oil as it soaks directly into the food.
- Use only plastic or wooden spatulas for safety as they won’t scratch the surface. And don’t put them in the dishwasher for cleaning, there are more chances of Teflon coating start to peel off.
- Season the pan frequently as it helps the cookware last longer period.
If you avoid such common mistakes, then you can enjoy your cookware for longer time. Generally, the average life span of Teflon cookware is about 5years, but if you maintain it well they can last longer than 5years. Also, use the cookware according to the type of the food you make. That way you can keep your health and the cookware safe.